In which I am too stupid to use emacs

About a year ago, I got a new machine, installed Aquamacs, and wondered why my .emacs wasn't working. I checked the documentation: yes, it claimed it would load .emacs. I checked the file: yes, it had the right name, and its contents did indeed work when run. So I supposed the documentation was wrong and Aquamacs doesn't actually run .emacs. And I gave up and thought no more about it. After all, I start emacs about as often as I reboot the machine, so it's not that much trouble to load .emacs by hand.

I am stupid. Aquamacs displays the *Messages* buffer when it starts. For the last year, every single time, it contained an error:

eval-buffer: Symbol's function definition is void: slime-setup

And it gave up loading the file. This was the first thing in my .emacs:

(setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl")
(slime-setup)

Of course it didn't work. Because, you know, Slime wasn't loaded yet.

In addition to being blind, I was blindly following someone's instructions, perhaps ones intended for some earlier version of Slime. It's not necessary to run slime-setup - just set inferior-lisp-program and then M-x slime when you want some CL. slime autoloads, and no setup is needed. It's almost simple enough that I could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's OK to comment on old posts.